Friday, January 7, 2011

Buiding a Remedy....

The waiting is the hardest part of starting a new project. My artillery park has shipped, which means I should be able to start on it Monday.

In the mean time, I realize I have very few suitable buildings for Europe. A google search for cardstock model buildings brought me to a delightful Swiss site. At least I think it's Swiss, I don't read German and the google translation is spotty. The point being that it has over 40 historical buildings free for download as card models.

The buildings represent many of the buildings from a village or town, as well as some farms. Perfect for C18 and 19 Oobleckistan. I am not sure exactly what scale they are. The site mentions using them with N and Z scale model trains, and I am printing them at 89% to fit US letter paper. The result looks to be somewhere between 6mm and 10mm scale judging by the size of doors etc. I plan to use them with 15mm figures, and hope that they look ok. I base my 15s on Litko 3mm bases, so I will probably need to invest in some MDF to base my town sections on, just so it doesn't look too much like Gulliver's Travels. Buildings and scenery to scale with either figures or ground scale never look exactly accurate anyway, so...

Here is the link to the buildings: http://www.grundschule-pretzschendorf.de/Werken/Weihnachtsberg/weihnachtsberg.html

I'll post photos as soon as there is something to show.

1 comment:

  1. Remember, sir, that usually one tabletop figure represents far more than a single man . . . so buildings of a smaller scale are usually the right thing to do.

    That being said, I'm not sure that 6mm buildings will work with 15mm figures . . . but 10mm might be good.


    -- Jeff

    ReplyDelete